Summary: In the middle of the winter we are dreaming about sunshine, heat and some exotic snacks. This healthy super food coconut snack will not only keep you energized but also puts a smile on your face. Simply delicious!
A healthy coconut snack that brings a bit of sunshine on a cold, winter morning
It is dark, raining and looks miserable outside. I am dreaming about my last vacation to Sri Lanka where I ate delicious and healthy food every single day. For breakfast, I often had coconut pancakes and drank lots of fresh coconut water too. It is unlikely that I will make it back to Sri Lanka this year, hence the best I can do is to recreate some of the dishes I had there. This coconut snack is actually inspired by my Sri Lankan food experience but it is something that rather resonates with Western cooking. Let’s call it fusion and enjoy!
The amazing health benefits of coconut and coconut oil
The taste of coconut is enough to love this versatile food, but it also has so many health benefits that it is hard to list all of them. I list a few but you can find the complete list of benefits in a previous article: We are nuts about coconuts.
- Supports the immune system: it is anti-bacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal. It also destroys pathogens.
- Rich in dietary fiber, and promotes weight loss
- It has a low GI ( Glycemic Index) hence reduces sweet cravings, and controls insulin levels.
- Restores and controls thyroid function
- Helps to protect against kidney disease and bladder infection, heart problems, and maintains good cholesterol levels.
- Helps to keep hair and skin healthy. Delays wrinkles, prevents sagging skin, and dark age spots.
- It is a natural source of energy and enhances physical performance
- The essential fatty acids may help to control a form of yeast overgrowth known as Candida
- Helps to protect the body from cancers due to its insulin reduction properties
- Provides sun protection
Delicious superfood coconut balls
Preparation: 10 minutes
Serves: 20 coconut snacks
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut plus a bit more for coating the balls
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or runny Acacia honey
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Blitz the shredded coconut until its texture becomes clumpy. Do not expect shredded coconut to be powdery like flour. It will rather look a bit soggy and wet.
- In a separate bowl add the coconut oil, maple syrup or honey, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Mix the ingredients well until it turns in to a sticky looking paste.
- Transfer the coconut mixture to the fridge for a half an hour, and wait until the texture solidifies a bit.
- Roll balls and coat them with shredded coconut too.
- Once the balls are ready, put them back in to fridge and cool them for another hour.
- These balls will store in an airtight container for a couple of days. They are great for a post-workout snack or as an afternoon pick-me-up at the office.
These snacks are packed with energy and due to its coconut oil content, we can easily consider it as a superfood snack. It is certainly one of our favorites when on the go or after a good workout at the gym. We would love to hear if you have any similar recipes. Reach out and send us your favorite, healthy snack recipe. We might post it in one of our future blogs.